Solving the compression dilemma when rsync-ing Debian versions

There was once a thread with the same subject (see
"http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-0101/msg00769.html";), which
mentioned the problem solved. So far I don't see any saving when I rsync
Debian versions, regardless if I copy the old version in place of the
new version or not. The saving is always below 1%.

Where is the problem? Isn't "gzip --rsyncable ..." used when Debian
packages are made or isn't the current  gzip capable of "--rsyncable"?
If everything should be fine, is there a package which I could test
(i.e. dpkg) in woody?

O. Wyss