Re: debhelper 3.x for potato available?

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 03:31:57PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> Hi,
> on most of our production servers, we are running potato because it is
> stable. If we need newer packages, we routinely backport sid packages
> to potato by simply re-building them.
> These backports are becoming increasingly difficult because more and
> more packages begin to rely on debhelper 3.x. There are issues
> regarding suid binaries and man pages since the way debhelper handles
> these changed with debhelper 3.x. We usually fix the suid cases
> manually and remove the man pages.
> However, this is becoming a nuisance. Backporting debhelper 3 to
> potato does look non-trivial because debhelper seems to Depend heavily
> on perl 5.6.
> Did anybody backport debhelper 3 to potato, and would be willing to
> share her packages? Or will a debhelper 3 backport be easier than it
> looks like?

i looked into doing it myself just to ease some of my own backporting,
but that perl-5.6 dependency is simply a killer, unless you hack
perl-5.6 into your system in such a way that perl-5.005 remains
default you will very badly break your system (debconf in

by the time you work around the perl thing you have a woody system so
there isn't much point.

you would be better off helping out with boot-floppies so woody can be
released sooner ;-)

Ethan Benson