Re: traceroute in /usr/bin, not /usr/sbin

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Craig Sanders wrote:

> >     Brian> i'm inclined to just close this bug, especially since it
> >     Brian> was normal and not wishlist.. you can say the same of many
> >     Brian> things, "mount is useful to users when user option is set "
> >     Brian> etc, all the user has to do is modify his $PATH.
> >
> > Move it to /usr/bin .  From the FHS v2.2:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > traceroute is not used 'exclusively by the system administrator', nor
> > is it needed for bootup, so it must go in /usr/bin.  Pretty simple.
>
> how many times do we have to repeat this same stupid argument?
>
> traceroute must stay in /usr/sbin because moving it will break local
> scripts that depend on it being exactly where it has been for the last
> 5+ years.

That's the sorriest excuse for, well, an excuse I've ever seen.

ever since I used Debian, I've been wondering why traceroute is in
/usr/sbin instead of /usr/bin. I happily accept that some local scripts
will depend on it being in that place, but either symlinking or making a
script that outputs an error like above (or perhaps both, symlinking +
debconf note first, errormessage after a few months) should fix that.

traceroute does not belong in an sbin directory. That should do it.

--
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas in belgium

Try does not exist. Believe that you will do it, else you will fail.

       -- Luke Skywalker,
       in the trilogy "The Jedi Academy", Kevin J. Anderson