Re: (long) tcpd compilation options and forced reverse lookup

    Nils> On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 04:39:18PM +0100, Edouard Lafargue
    Nils> wrote:

    >> That's the very problem: even with hosts in /etc/hosts, the
    >> resolver still seems to do DNS queries for reverse-lookups!
    >> It's the case for every program that does "gethostbyname",
    >> really.

    >> Still , reverse lookups for every host in /etc/hosts ! If
    >> someone has a solution...
    Nils> In the case of DNS being down remove the nameserver entry in
    Nils> /etc/resolv.conf

    Nils> But I would be very interested in getting the real answer.

Is /etc/nsswitch.conf correct?

If I didn't know better, I would say that you have something like:

hosts:          dns files

Instead of

hosts:          files dns

On my computer, if I type in

perl -e 'print gethostbyname("scrooge"),"\n"'

I get no DNS enquiries.  Same goes with:

perl -e 'print gethostbyname("scrooge.chocbit.org.au"),"\n"'

This is important, as this is a laptop and doesn't always have access
to DNS. However, some programs still need to do the above lookup
regardless.

I do not get any DNS lookups. My /etc/hosts entry is:

192.168.87.132  scrooge.chocbit.org.au          scrooge

Of course, I missed the first part of this thread, so I may be
completely wrong...
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>