No icons after update

I dist-upgraded my Debian unstable system a while ago and lost all the Gnome
icons on my desktop. They are just generic icons. I can't even "reset" them.
I try to change the icon but it just doesn't work.

I thought, "ok bug it will be fixed soon" but it hasn't has I just did
another dist-upgrade.

It seems to be related to the new Gnome 1.4 stuff (I was using Helix Gnome
1.2 before) but I'm not sure. All I know is I can't get icons to stick, even
on new items I create.

Anyone have answers?

Please CC me as I'm not on this list any more. Thanks.

    __   _                                           Carl B. Constantine
   / /  (_)__  __ ____  __                                 carl@os-s.com
                                            PGP key available on request

 Up the line - out the server- past the firewall - nothing but Net!!