Re: APT : Packages file to large to download everytime.

Viral <viral@debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 06:08:36AM +0100, Edward Betts wrote:
> > Good idea, you can look at cvs.debian.org for some of the code that you will
> > need to modify to generate incremental package files.
>
> Why can't we just use diff+patch ? Using that, we could have something
> called apt-incremental, thus avoiding adding extra dependencies on apt.

You still have to change the code on Debian machines that generates the
Package files.

> Well, on an unrelated issue, what do folks think of the idea of
> apt-gnutella or apt-freenet ?
> Then, one would get the Packages file from one of the debian mirrors,
> but the packages could be got from a P2P network such as gnutella or freenet.
> With debsig-verify falling into place, and packages being signed, one could
> then trust debs from such a network.

I think that P2P will be the distribution method of the future, but it still
requires work. Algorithms are needed to be able to work out the best machine
to be able to download from.

--
Don't worry  --  shop.