Re: php4 not in testing

On Friday 08 June 2001 08:58, Petr Cech wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 04:53:49AM +0200 , Russell Coker wrote:

> > Why is this?  Why can't it just work?
>
> do I know?

My apologies.  I did not mean to imply that had failed to implement a
known solution.

I thought that perhaps this was a case of "we know what the problem is
but it's really hard to fix and no-one has worked out how" rather than
"we have no clue what's going wrong".

I am confidant that you will fix the problem as soon as the correct
solution is discovered!

> > If making one big libphp4.so that provides everything is the solution
> > to these problems then I think that is what has to be done.
>
> I already see people screaming, that a tiny php4 pulls in 30MB worth of
> libraries.

40 megs that works is surely better than 30megs that doesn't...

> > Also could you please change the description of the packages to
> > mention that PHP4 is more fragile than PHP3.  Otherwise people will
> > just assume
>
> it is, because it changes. php3 was not touched upstream for half a
> year
>
> > that a bigger number means that the software will work better for
> > them...
>
> it mostly does. you know, never touch a running system

I understand.  However I anticipate that other people will be in the same
situation as me.  They want to install PHP, they read the package
documentation and decide to install PHP4 because it's newer and faster.
Then they spend hours fiddling with Apache only to discover that they
were hit by a PHP4 bug that is not present in PHP3.

Yes, I guess I could have checked the BTS, but when you install a dozen
new packages and don't know which one broke your system it's often
easiest to try commenting things out of your config until it starts
working again.