Re: Intent to Rewrite: pwgen

tytso@thunk.org:
> It's not that strange; /bin/ls does it.  If /bin/ls notices that
> stdout (sorry, I should have said isatty(1)) is a tty, then the -C
> option is implied; otherwise the -1 option is implied.

Ah, isatty(1), of course. I should have realized that looking at the
output is more useful. :)

> So there's ample precedent for doing this, and I've never heard
> screams of script writers who use /bin/ls in their shell scripts.  :-)

I agree that what ls does is generally accepted. I don't think it's
a weighty enough precedence that pwgen should do it. I'd much rather
see only an option for displaying many passwords, instead of doing it
automagically. I wouldn't scream very hard if it does the automagic
thing as well.

--
Lars Wirzenius <liw@wapit.com>
Architect, Kannel WAP and SMS Gateway project, Wapit Ltd, http://www.kannel.org