Re: Is cdrecord dead?

On Thu, 31 May 2001, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:

> On Thu, 31 May 2001, Harald Dunkel wrote:
>
> > Does anybody know whats going on with cdrecord? For about 2 months
> > there is a grave bug filed against it (#92927). Cdrecord dies with
> >
> > cdrecord: Invalid argument. Cannot get mmap for 4198400 Bytes on /dev/zero.

> Annoying isn't it?  Actually cdrecord does work but only if you have the
> exact same kernel Erik had when made the package.  If you recompile it
> for your kernel version, it works.

Actually, it works with any 2.4 kernel, but not with 2.2.x. At build
time it is determined that shared mmap() (a 2.4-only feature) is
possible because nowadays libc6 is compiled with 2.4.x kernel
headers.

This has come up in the cdwrite mailinglist too. I sent a patch to
Erik to disable the shared mmap() detection at build time (cdrecord
then falls back to SysV shm). But apparently he hasn't done anything
with it.

Eric