Re: Intent to Rewrite: pwgen

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 09:28:15PM +0200, Vincent Renardias wrote:

> I suggest the following:
> - call this new implementation differently; SINP? (SINP Is Not
> Pwgen), pwgen2? any other name will do...
> - I'll add in the package a shell script called pwgen that will emulate
> the way the "old" pwgen worked by calling SINP/pwgen2.
>
> Unless I overlooked something, it should solve at the same time the
> backwark compatibility problem and Ted's desire to improve the command
> line.

Actually, I've thought about this some more, and I think I can provide
backwards compatibility at the command-line level, at least for
scripts.  The trick will be using isatty(0) ala ls to provide
different defaults dependin on whether it's being run interactively by
a user or being run as a script.  (Of course, the paranoid script
writer can use options to force a particular set of behaviours if
he/she doesn't want to depend on isatty() working correctly.)

						- Ted