Re: DVD, UDF, ISO9660

On Mon, 21 May 2001, Alexander García wrote:

> Hello everybody!
> Kernel 2.4.x is out there...
> UDF File system is supported for readind and
> (writing?).
> Can I write on a DVD using UDF and a DVD-RW device
> under Linux?

Probably yes, but I don't know what would be required for creating an UDF
filesystem.

[searching...]

It seems you need the UDF tools, available on
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-udf/
and/or
  http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~bfennema/udf.html
(what's the difference?)

AFAICS these things (like mkudf) are not yet packaged in Debian. Maybe someone
can take care of that -- Cc'ing debian-devel.

> The 2GB file size limit is over, so
> I can have ISO9660 images >4GB.
> How do I write it on a DVD, using a DVD-RW device
> like Pioneer DVR-S201?
> I am wondering about how UDF writing works under
> Linux?
> I know I can play DVDs, but how can I write data
> on a DVD?

According to
  http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/cdrecord.html
cdrecord should be able to burn DVDs containing anything you like.

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer