Re: two versions of ncftp required, and with Readline?

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 06:53:58PM +0100, Muhammad Hussain Yusuf wrote:
> 1) I was wondering whether there are many users of
> both ncftp2 (the old version) and ncftp3, who install both versions.
>
> A suggested solution (by Szasz Andras ) to allow both is:
>
> ncftp: /usr/bin/ncftp3
> ncftp2: /usr/bin/ncftp2
> And both of them should make use of the /etc/alternatives system (see:
> update-alternatives), and ncftp3 with a higher priority.

On my potato system it looks like it is already done this way.
ncftp provides /usr/bin/ncftp3, ncftp2 provides /usr/bin/ncftp2,
and /etc/alternatives/ncftp points to ncftp3.

> And how many still use the old version, which is no longer maintained
> upstream? Is it worth retaining?

I still think the interface is better than v3 in many ways.

> Polite question: would anyone really miss the readline option since
> getline works OK and *seems to be* what most users use?

What's the difference?

Hamish