debconf & apt-utils

Sigh, I don't know what to do about this debconf and apt-utils thing
(bug #89060, #92140).

On the one hand, debconf not depending on apt-utils means that behavior
changes on many upgrades from potato, and it means that one of the nice
debconf features -- preconfiguration -- does not happen on new woody
installs.

On the other hand, apt-utils would bloat the base system by 500k.

What's really frustrating is that 227k of that 500k is in
apt-ftparchive, which 99% of the people who'd install this package if
debconf dependned on it will never use. Another 57k goes to
apt-sortpkgs, which is over even more limited utility. Only about 131k
is used by apt-extracttemplates and the library.

I'm leaning toward reassigning these bugs to apt-utils and hoping it can
be split up from the rest of apt in some more productive fashion.

--
see shy jo