Re: What should an autobuilder do?

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 12:11:09PM -0600, Bdale Garbee wrote:
> steven.robbins@videotron.ca (Steve M. Robbins) writes:
>
> > On Sun, May 27, 2001 at 03:21:45PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> >
> > The main question is: what is the advantage of making the autobuilders
> > so brittle that they fall over on the slightest mistake, causing their
> > keepers a lot of extra work going through reams of failed build logs?
>
> In the end, it makes the quality of Debian packages go up.
>
> It's intriguing how many of the packages that fail to autobuild do so for
> things that aren't even subtle.

Do you have some insight to share with us on that?  How many packages
fail to build for un-subtle reasons?  Can you categorise the reasons?

>  We can, collectively, do better than that.

What do we need to be doing differently?
What should a generic package builder be on the lookout for?

-Steve

--
by Rocket to the Moon,
by Airplane to the Rocket,