Re: RFC: groff split (was Re: Packaging WM themes - question)

On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 03:32:55PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
>   groff-base: Basic package containing binaries, fonts, and drivers
>               needed to read man pages in ASCII/Latin-1/UTF-8.
>   groff:      Most of the other optional components - DVI, PostScript,
>               and HTML output, etc., various random tools, the large
>               Japanese fonts, and documentation.
>   gxditview:  The gxditview program, the only bit that depends on X.
>
> groff-base is about 1Mb installed; groff weighs in at somewhat over 5Mb;
> gxditview is about 100Kb. Since groff will be priority optional, I could
> be persuaded to ship gxditview with that if people don't mind the
> dependencies on libxaw7 and xlibs.

I would do the latter and have just 2 packages: groff-base and groff.  I
don't think gxditview merits its own package since most people don't even
know what it is, and also because to meaningfully preview the output of the
DVI and PostScript engines outside groff-base, you're going to need X
anyway[1].

[1] I scorn and mock svgalib and fbcon graphics hacks.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    I suspect Linus wrote that in a
Debian GNU/Linux                |    complicated way only to be able to have