Re: Proposed Autoconf 2.50 path

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
> The lesson to learn here is that packages should not require libtool,
> autoconf, or whatever at build time.  Those tools are designed to be run at
> source preperation time, so it is the responsibility of the package
> maintainer to run them before packaging the source.

So... should my packages not require gcc or ld to build either?

Sorry, I don't agree with your argument. A generated file is a generated
file, and if the upstream source doesn't have it (or if you've patched the
files which are input source for the generated file), then you need to
generate it.

I don't see configure scripts or Makefiles as any different to object files
or compiled and linked binaries. They're generated from source, which means
they will probably get generated during the build.
Sam Couter          |   Internet Engineer   |   http://www.topic.com.au/
sam@topic.com.au    |   tSA Consulting      |
OpenPGP key ID:       DE89C75C,  available on key servers