Re: Automake 2.50 migration strategy, as implemented

On Sat, May 26, 2001 at 04:27:41PM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Sat, May 26, 2001 at 04:09:04PM -0400, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> > I am currently uploading the new version of autoconf and
> > autoconf2.13.  These attempt to automatically select the desired
> > version of Autoconf utilities at the time they are run.  In my
> > simple tests, they work well.  We'll see how they do in practice,
> > but I suspect that, except for possible minor bugs in the
> > wrappers, they will work well there too.
> >
> > All that autobuilder maintainers, etc., should need to do, is to
> > make sure that they install autoconf2.13 as well as the new
> > autoconf.  This should not be challenging because the new
> > autoconf Recommends: autoconf2.13 for now.  (I intend to demote
> > the recommendation to a suggestion, then remove it, over the next
> > year or so, as it gradually becomes less necessary.)
> However, installing autoconf negates having a clean chroot for the
> autobuilders. This means that packages with missing build-deps on
> autoconf will succeed, even though they are technically broken.
> I suggest making that recommends a depends for now.

Why wouldn't you just special-case autoconf in the autobuilder

Most of us are not autobuilders.  I don't relish the thought of
spending the next year telling dselect NOT to install autoconf2.13.

by Rocket to the Moon,
by Airplane to the Rocket,
by Taxi to the Airport,
by Frontdoor to the Taxi,