Re: Packaging WM themes - question

On 25-May-01, 14:17 (CDT), Vince Mulhollon <vlm@norlight.com> wrote:

> I'll put my summary at the top and bottom of this email...  I want "debian
> data packages" to be real packages that deeply integrate with Debian, not
> simply run a ".zip to .deb format converter" on textfiles.com, and/or a
> simple mirror of textfiles.com.  A .deb of a binary is more than a renamed
> ".tar.gz" and thats what I want from a .deb of a data file.

But a .deb of a data file *is* pretty much just a renamed .tar.gz that
has been unpacked and then repacked with the paths changed (perhaps). I
find it particularly galling that for a data package of any significant
size, the .orig.tar.gz and the .deb are more or less the same.

Note that deep integration with Debian does not require them to be
.debs, nor to be archived and/or retrieved identically with .debs. I can
imagine a seperate section of the archive for data (with subsections
as necessary) and "debian-data-manager" package that package accessed,
retrieved, and installed the data packages. The main advantage would
be no wasted space with near duplicates of source/deb, and the (easy)
ability to seperate the mirror tree (forest?) from that of the main
Debian archive.

A minor advantage would be the avoidance of this flame war every time
the topic comes up. :-)

Steve
--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read