Re: Packaging WM themes - question

bsass@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca (Bruce Sass) wrote:

> If the total number of packages is overwhelming... tough, but that is
> a programming problem (devise a better interface to the package pool)

This is a rather closed-minded position to take.  Besides, can you
really program 40 packages into 3?  You must be a much better
programmer than I.

This is not a programming problem (unless you propose to completely
re-implement the way we do packages altogether), but rather, it is a
human problem.  The user is becoming overwhelmed, and you cannot
program that away.

> ... and should not be solved by limiting options.

Options will have to be "limited" at some point.  That is the price
one pays for the convenience of using packages.  Convenience is the
whole point of packages, isn't it?  When the number of packages
becomes inconvenient, then what is the point?

The trick is to find a balance between packages that are too large and
encumbering and packages that are two small and fragmented.  Lately,
it seems that we are heading towards the latter.  I, however, would
like to see us avoid either extreme.

- Brian