Re: ld.so not ignoring LD_PRELOAD on seduid binaries?

On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 03:26:07PM +0200, joost witteveen wrote:

> Now, I'm wondering if anyone knows why ld.so silently ignores
> $LD_PRELOAD if it does contain a `/', while it fails to load the
> program when $LD_PRELOAD doesn't contain a `/'.

Good question. Perhaps it is because when a library is specified with no
path, ld.so will attempt to preload it for setuid/setgid binaries provided
the library image in question has its setgid bit set. If this operation
failed silently because a file got misplaced, the result might be undesired
operation. But there's no legitimate reason anyone would specify a "/" in a
LD_PRELOAD for a setuid/setgid binary because only the standard search
directories can be used - and they're implied if no path is specified.

With regard to bug #98467: Has the value of LD_PRELOAD set by the fakeroot
shell script changed between the current version and past versions of
fakeroot, and if so, is this the reason why setuid programs now fail to
execute at all? Is there any compelling reason why the value of LD_PRELOAD
set by fakeroot couldn't be reverted to the one containing a '/'?

--
Brian Ristuccia
brian@ristuccia.com