Re: A section for commercial software?

schuller@lunatech.com (Bart Schuller) writes:
> The only sane distinction to make is between .debs, which try to conform
> to as many Debian policies as possible, and non-debs, which you untar
> into /opt.
>
> A .deb unpacking into /opt has no added value to me, it will just help
> to confuse.

I confess to not getting the benefit of this.  To me /opt says
"Third-party stuff".  If I want to drop random non-packged stuff on my
system, that's what /usr/local is for.  I see no problem with a .deb
dropping stuff in /opt, if that's where FHS says its contents ought to
go.

-=Eric
--
Why would the Lord give us so much quickness of movement unless it was to
avoid responsibility with?