Re: A section for commercial software?

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 03:46:07PM +0300, Panu Hällfors wrote:
> I'm creating Debian packages for commercial software
> to ease the installation of our software on Debian and
> I just began wondering which section to declare them in.
>
> non-free/??? just doesn't sound good since I wouldn't like to
> mix our commercial packages with those really supported by
> Debian. For now I'll use "commercial". Any suggestions?

You can use your companies name.  It's nice from you to stay out
of the Debian name space, although there is no way for us to
enforce this.  So you can pick anything that looks good for you,
and personally I think the name of a company or organization has
a personal touch and creates a unique namespace for you.

> Btw, I also had problems with deciding where to put the
> files. I currently use /opt/xxx, /etc/opt/xxx and /var/opt/xxx
> as fhs suggests. Isn't this OK?

Sounds fine.

BTW, commercial software != proprietary software.  If your software
is free and useful, how about maintaining it inside Debian rather than
outside?

Thanks,
Marcus