Re: wishlist for dpkg

On Thu, 17 May 2001, Ulf Jaenicke-Roessler wrote:

> I had not seen any error message by dpkg, but the maintainer scripts
> did not work, and neither did ls, chmod or something else.
>
> It turned out, that data.tar.gz was unzipped, but not completely because
> of corruption. A tar/gz error was shown with dpkg --contents (I think
> a broken pipe).
> Hence, all symlinks in libc6 where missing when dpkg -i unpacked the .deb.
> It was a hard time to create these ;-)

This sounds like the bug in dpkg where it didn't read the tail ends of pipes
fully. Symlinks are stored at the end of data.tar.gz, so if the symlinks don't
get created, then all hell can break loose.

To continue what Wichert said earlier, dpkg should detect these errors, and
roll back the system.  It currently doesn't to this in this situation.  Adding
an additional checksum(of any kind), when there is already a checksum taking
place(with gzip), will not fix the problem, that dpkg doesn't roll back.