Package listings in LDAP?

Hi everyone,

I just had a totally cool idea: storing Debian package listings (ala
Packages.gz) in an LDAP directory. Because of the fact that package list
access may be done by machines not connected to the Internet (eg, install
from CD), this cannot be the _only_ way to get to the package listings.

I think it's a good idea to have a supplemental package listing in LDAP because
sometimes you already know the name of a package you want to install, upgrade,
or whatever, and don't want to have to download the entire package list (which
is a pain for dialup users in particular) to simply upgrade a single package.
This could also be used by `apt-get source', which otherwise requires deb-src
lines in sources.list; leaving them there is simply a waste of bandwidth, and
with `apt-get source' you _always_ know which package you want the source of.

What does everyone else think?

Regards,

Alex.