Re: Giram: Request for removal

On 05/07/2001 02:03:33 PM Egon Willighagen wrote:

>> What about a Debian policy to remove packages for which alternatives are
>> available with same or similar functionality *and* for which development
has
>> stopped or almost stopped completely?

All you'll get is endless flamewars about "same or similar" and "stopped".

Personally, for my "Vince Special" Debian CDRoms, I'd like to toast about
seven of the eight vi clones, xemacs, all the "optimized" kernel-images,
original awk, and all the gnome stuff in favor of KDE, but I don't
realistically think my personal biases will have any effect, and I don't
think my personal biases should have any effect on the overall project...

If someone out there likes "Q" but I think it's not a good idea, all I can
do if try to talk them out of it, and thats the way it should be.

Need to clearly define who makes that decision, because obviously the
developers directly involved in the fight (and it will be a fight each
time) will be biased.

Also, that would be a major policy shift away from "if you care enough to
maintain it, we'll let it in if it's legal" to "we'll only let it in if the
cabal likes it".

Of course there is no cabal.