Re: build depends on kernel-headers

On Sun, May 06, 2001 at 10:43:25AM +0200, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> On Sun, May 06, 2001 at 03:29:58PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:

> > Yes, because otherwise your code probably won't compile.
>
> ... when the kernel interface changed. Now tell me what is better -

Nope, they won't compile at all because kernel headers are not designed
to be used in user space programs.  On architectures like the alpha, there
are definitions such as current which will stop any programs that include
headers which in turn include it from compiling.

> the package not building with the changed kernel or not working after
> being installed at x*1000 machines?

What is better is a sane local header that works with all kernels.