Re: (OT) Storage (8*IDE HDs) any experiences?

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 03:24:53PM -0500, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
> On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 08:18:20PM +0100, Matthew Sackman wrote:
> >
> > Every production server that I've seen that has 2 PSUs has both
> > continuously running. At hopefully < 50% capacity.
>
> Interesting. Could you post the list of brand names/vendors so
> that we'll know what not to buy.

Well their design may have changed over the last year or so, but afaik,
Penguin Computing do this, and the other one that I know of I can't
remember the name of - a UK based company that custom builds servers.
Can't remember the name,  sorry.

If you're looking to purcahse a server for use as a co-location server
in a hosting company then be advised that they do not like dual power
inlet servers (will charge more), and they are also very concerned over
the size of your server. I.e. don't buy a dell poweredge cos they're too
big and you'll get charged more for them.

Also be aware that any decent power supply will have a quickblow internal
fuse, thus the fuse in the plug is redundant. In this case (and ONLY in
this case), it is safe to foil-wrap the fuse in the PLUG to ensure it
never blows. This way you can have redundant power supplies through one
inlet. Be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN THAT THE PSUs ARE INTERNALLY FUSED.

If I were you, I would use a company that will custom build you a box,
basically using components you specify: i.e. down to the model number of
the mobo. That way, and only that way, can you be certain what you're
getting.

Personally, I'd build the server from scratch myself, but if you're not
happy doing that then get a company to build it for you. I would not go
for an off-the-shelf server.

> ... Of
> > course, the irony is that as they are both routed to the same power
> > inlet, if the fuse in the plug goes then you're buggered anyway! :-)
>
> Tip of the day: plug them into 2 different UPSen connected to separate
> power lines (pref. separate circuits).
>
> Oh, and (since they sound like the kind of servers that come with
> monitors) don't plug monitors into UPSen.

Um, nope. £6000 (uk pound) dual PIII 1Gb DRAM, U160 SCSI. Used by a very
professional web hosting company.

Hope this helps,

Matthew

--