Re: (OT) Storage (8*IDE HDs) any experiences? +55v

hi

yes gnd should be connected...

if +5v, +3.3v is NOT connected together...
and assuming you have 2 powersupplies..

and if the power supply to the disk dies...
    than you're out of luck
	or if the powersupply tot eh motherboard dies...
 	you'd be out of luck too

in which case...whats thepoint of having 2 PS ???
	- if it cannot handle the load...get a bigger power supply

	- having 2 power supplies complicates things..
	and some devices running at 12.5v and others at 11.5v..
	at the extreme voltage ranges ... similarly for +5v range
	and +3.3 ranges...( all kinds of possible random timing problems??

if you do have 2 power supplies.. you should invest in a
properly designed load-sharing power circuitry such that the other
supply can drive all devices it needs by itself...
	- or just get a powersupply with 2x the capacity too
	does almost the same trick..

	- except if the one supply dies...you're dead...

some ( supermicro ) motherboards has dual atx connectors
...but the disks are not yet dual-power supplied... :-(

and we wont even talk about the UPS triggering a shutdown in
these cases... what a mess... but fun !!!

c ya
alvin
http://www.Linux-Sec.net ...