Re: ash word-splitting changes break shell scripts

Steve M. Robbins <steven.robbins@videotron.ca> wrote:

> It is likely that the folks who wrote autoconf did not invent this
> idiom for setting and re-setting $IFS.  They probably borrowed the
> idea from existing shell code, meaning that the "breakage", as you put
> it, will be widespread indeed.

Please read the code before commenting:

It says:

IFS="${IFS= 	}"; ac_save_ifs="$IFS"; IFS=":"

If you don't mind me postulating, the first command is actually trying to
assign a default value to IFS if it isn't set.  This is actually better
than what Zack Weinberg was trying to do, except that it has an incorrect
default value.

> The autoconf folks try very hard to write portable code.  They go to
> ridiculous lengths to support every major flavour of OS, compiler,
> make, and shell.  Indeed, Zack's tests show that only the recent ash
> behaves differently.

So what? Broken code is broken code.