Re: libdb3.so and libdb-3.so

At Mon, 30 Apr 2001 10:04:48 -0400,
Ben Collins wrote:
> > I wonder why libdb3 package includes
> > 	/usr/lib/libdb3.so.3.0.2 ,
> > 	/usr/lib/libdb-3.so ,
> > however libdb3-dev package includes
> > 	/usr/lib/libdb3.so .
>
> That .so is not a link name. It is only there so that things compiled
> against the upstream soname will work.

Ah, sorry. `link name' is not proper expression.
`soname' is proper :-)

I saw the Debian db3 source package, and found in debian/rules:
        # Symlinks for non-Debian db3 compiled apps
        ln -sf libdb3.so.3.0.2 debian/tmp/usr/lib/libdb-3.so
        ln -sf libdb3_cxx.so.3.0.2 debian/tmp/usr/lib/libdb_cxx-3.so
Ben, why did you decide making links for libdb-3 ?

Currently some gnome package have `-ldb-3' entries as compile options.
For example, /usr/bin/gnome-config in libgnome-dev has some such
`-ldb-3' fields. If the soname of `libdb-3' is decided for only gnome,
should it be all changed to `libdb3'... ?

I cannot find out why `libdb-3' is used and spreaded over the gnome
packages. Naming soname is sensitive issue, IMHO.

Regards,
-- GOTO Masanori