X-Medium in /var/lib/dpkg/available

Short problem description:
dpkg complains about wrong syntax in /var/lib/dpkg/available, and in
fact there are a lot of package descriptions where the last line
read something like (from memory)

X-MediumDebian GNU/Linux potato CD 2...

which should of course read

Now I cant use apt any more because on every run it rewrites the available
file and then dpkg fails again :-(

How that problem came up:

I tried to upgrade my potato home computer to sid by apt-get dist-upgrade.
After downloading everything and installing and configuring a few packages
apt stopped because apt-utils hadn't been installed.

Ok, installed that by hand using dpkg -i, fiddling around a bit to get the
proper dependencies and finally apt and apt-utils were installed. From then
on the X-Medium Problem emerged.

Ideas?

Nils

--
*New* *New* *New*    - on shellac records
   Windows HE        - see top 10 reasons to downgrade on