Re: RFC: English translation list

On Sun, 29 Apr 2001, Joey Hess wrote:
> What I am proposing is a new list, similar in scope to the other l10n
> lists, where developers can bring text they need a clean English version
> of (be the original in some other language, or their best try in
> English), and get a good English translation back.

I think that would be a very good idea. I've found myself needing grammar
help from time to time (and I am also known to do terrible things to
prepositions :P), and I'm sure many other non-native English speakers find
themselves in such trouble often.

Also, I've seen very criptic/bogus text in package descriptions, README
files and manpages... and I'm not even that good at English, so I'm pretty
sure I didn't notice half of them.  A central place to exert some help in
that area would benefit Debian, I think.

> I'm offline so I'm not sure what a proper list name would be, probably
> either debian-english or debian-i18n-english, or debian-l10n-english or
> whatever parallels the other lists for other language translations.

I'd prefer -18n-english or -10n-english, to avoid a dangerous parallel to
the various debian-<language> lists used for user support.

  Henrique Holschuh