Re: Packages not making it into testing

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 10:33:46AM +0200, Petr Cech wrote:
> any news one getting php4 into testing? pretty please :))

And here was me thinking you already knew all about this...

Okay. First, php3 and apache. The apache in testing is old, old, old.
Getting the apache from unstable into testing, without breaking anything,
means also:

	getting most of the apache modules in (since they tend to be
		specific to an apache major version, and 1.3.9 - 1.3.19 is
		quite a jump)
	getting the php3 from unstable in (similar reasons)
	getting imagemagick, postgresql and ucb-snmp from unstable in (since
		some php3 module or another depends on them)
	getting php3-dbase in (since it depends on a specific version of
		php3)
	getting python2 in, since the new libapache-mod-python depends on
		python2, not python

Those are problematic because:

	python2 isn't built on m68k, and has some strict dependencies so
	that being slightly out of date on m68k breaks some packages

	php3-dbase (being non-free) is out of date on every architecture
	but alpha and i386

	postgresql has had a brand new upstream release (7.1)

There are other broken things here too.

(Gotta love complicated dependency sets and software that's not backwards
or forwards compatible...)

php4's another matter entirely, which I'm not inclined to look into yet :)

Cheers,
aj