Re: Gnome bug 94684

On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 12:08:31PM +0200, Christian Marillat wrote:
> TB> I'm perfectly happy for him to just do (3).  But what he wants to do
> TB> instead is declare real bugs non-bugs, on the grounds that he "can do
> TB> nothing".  If he can't even forward bugs upstream, there is a serious
> TB> problem.
>
> *You* are a serious problem.

What an unpleasant, and ridiculous, thing to say.

Thomas is perfectly right that it's reasonable to report upstream bugs
to debian, and expect them to be forwarded -- it is one of the jobs we
carry out as maintainers.

> If you don't want to change your configuration each time you did a apt-get
> upgrade, then install potato.

Rubbish.

Programs shouldn't gratuitously break configurations which worked.
When woody is released, and people upgrade en masse to it, they will
want their configurations to carry on working.

Some debian packages, (postgres) when the changes to file formats are
sufficiently complex, have contented themselves with warning the
administrator that he'll have to fix things by hand.  But the approach
of breaking the configs without telling anyone you've done it, and
without providing an upgrade path, is broken.

Especially in apparently stable (as in, ready for every day use)
software.  Sawfish is apparently stable, and many people use it
everyday.

Upgrade paths can bee hard work --- possibly harder work then they
seem to merit --- but it is something that debian has often been good
at.  If you don't want to/can't do the work, then fair enough.

But leave the bug open.  It is a bug.

And don't insult users/fellow developers like that.

Jules