Re: New X problems...

Dale Scheetz wrote:

Now, when I bring up and xterm or a bash window, I get no cursor and no
keystrokes appear in the window. I'm also having very flaky problems with

I have had problems with this as well.  I tracked it down to
NFS/amd not working properly.  This has been a problem on my
laptop for about a year now but NFS is not so critical that
I've had time to go fix the problem.  It seems odd, though,
that maps provided by our IT department don't work on my
woody laptop, but work on other machines on the network (running
potato). I'm guessing this is a configuration problem on my end,
though.  In any event, disabling amd solved it for me.

Hmm...After re-reading your message, I think I misunderstood you.
My problem is that the terminal session hangs (nothing is displayed
at all, and no, there are no references to NFS mounts in my
startup files).  It sounds like you're having strictly input
problems.

mozilla not being able to get into simple web pages and download material.
(I'm trying to get the current LSB spec)

Now _this_ I just recently (i.e. today) started seeing more
often. My laptop (Dell Latitude CPx/J) has always had problems
with the Vortex card after a BIOS resume.  For one thing, the
routes take forever to come back (i.e. 'route' hangs for a
minute or more before being able to resolve to DNS). Today,
however, I saw something new.  I dist-upgraded testing and
rebooted with a freshly-compiled 2.2.17 (no configuration changes,
just a kpkg --revision change so it doesn't conflict with
the standard packages).  After a BIOS suspend/resume cycle,
the network was extremely flaky.  As usual, route took forever.
Once I was able to ping a host, I left it running and used mozilla
to access the network through both the WWW and IMAP clients.
In both cases, as soon as mozilla took any action, the network
was lost and the pings stopped going through.

Strangely enough, I just now resumed the machine again and everything
seems fine.  In general, the Vortex/Cardbus/SOMETHING has always
been very flaky for me, but today was the first time I could
_consistently_ bring the network down.  Until I suspended/resumed
again, of course.  :(

At this point I can't tell whether this has something to do with my new
kernel, or is caused by something else. I'm pretty sure that once I got
things working the last time, I used an xterm with no problems, so my
suspicions lie heavily with the new kernel.

It's suspicious that I had a change in behavior after a kernel
recompile as well, but since I didn't change any configurations,
I'm assuming it lies with something in testing.  I suspect it
might be with the new (for me, at least) pcmcia-cs.

Thoughts?

-Dave

--

"Some little people have music in them, but Fats, he was all music,
and you know how big he was."  --  James P. Johnson