Re: Referring what kernel-images to build to the technical committee?

Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org> wrote:
[...]
> kernel-image for i386.  These flavors correspond to CPU type; for
> example there is an appropriate kernel for people with 386 machines to
> run and an appropriate kernel for people with Athlon machines to run.
[...]
> I'd like to summarize my understanding of the tradeoffs that we have
> identified in the debian-devel discussion so that if we do turn this
> issue over to the committee, they will know what concerns we have
> already identified.  Please add to the following list if I have missed
> something.
[...]
> performance: By having images optimized for each processor on i386
> users should see better performance.  I don't believe performance
> numbers were quantified in the discussion but quantifying performance
> is probably important to evaluating this tradeoff.
[...]

Hello!
_Afair_ it is necessary to run a k6 (or athlon) "optimized" kernel to
use 3DNow! in applications like xmms or lame. This probably applys to
ISSE, MTTR and MMX, too.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
         tia, cu andreas
--
Uptime: 10 seconds  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
vim:ls=2:stl=***\ Sing\ a\ song.\ ***