Re: Packages not making it into testing

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 03:46:55AM -0500, Rahul Jain wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 10:33:46AM +0200, Petr Cech wrote:
> > > + xcdroast uploaded 152 days ago, out of date by 142 days!
> > > 	gtk/setgid problems, see 92230 etc
> >
> > that's new change in gtk 1.2.9 to disallow suid applications, which I find
> > silly
>
> Why does xcdroast need to be setgid? I think it's terrible to have any user
> able to burn or screw up a burn... why can't they use sudo or su?

Doesn't the user have to belong to the relevant group anyway?
We already control access to things like floppy drives, sound
cards etc through groups, so cd burning is another good example.

Why not su/sudo? Well, that would let the user access files they
can't normally read. Eg burn other users' home directories on
to a CD. Also, X authority stuff is messy to transfer between
users.

Hamish