Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Aaron Lehmann wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 07:27:42PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> > In any case, binary modules are a fact of life I'm afraid.
>
> Bull. We are Debian, not fucking RedHat or Mandrake. We strive to
> exist without non-free software and using its existance as an excuse
> to make your packages far worse is a complete disgrace to the project.
>
> Linus doesn't support binary-only modules. He doesn't care about them.
> That's why they break. This attitude is good. We should ignore
> non-free software, or at least not give it enough attention to let it
> hurt the quality of our free software packages.

Your "we should ignore non-free software" sounds as if you disagree with
the Social Contract?

<--  snip  -->

We acknowledge that some of our users require the use of programs that
don't conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines.
Thus, although non-free software isn't a part of Debian, we support its
use, and we provide infrastructure (such as our bug-tracking system and
mailing lists) for non-free software packages.

<--  snip  -->

cu
Adrian

--

Nicht weil die Dinge schwierig sind wagen wir sie nicht,
sondern weil wir sie nicht wagen sind sie schwierig.