Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

I also do NOT like the kernels compiled for a huge number of systems.
I do not think it helps either "hotrodders" or "little old ladies
from pasadena".  Hotrodders can and should build their own, and
lolfp's cannot tell which kernel they need (they do not know, or
care if they have a 586 or a Pentium Classic, and probably
think they have a Pentium, even if it is from AMD)!

I am not even sure that initrd is all that great.  I have looked
in the man pages, in /usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-2.4.2,
/usr/share/doc/kernel-image-2.4.2-pentiumiii-smp, on google, and
in other places and have yet to see the answer to my questions.

These are:
1) how do I boot from a non-IDE root disk?
2)  How do I control what goes into initrd in a more reasonable
way than nothing/most/all.  (and what does most do, anyway?).

Jim Penny