Re: chroot bind?

[ i do read the list so i don't need a CC ]

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 03:12:59PM +1200, Nicholas Lee wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 04:54:42PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> >
> > fine, no disagreement here, what im pointing out is that with at least
> > bind 8 (someone mentioned bind 9 works differently) its not open to
> > debate, you either have bind binaries in the chroot jail or bind
> > doesn't work.
>
> No, only named-xfer.

thats my point, named-xfer IS a bind binary, and it must live in the
chroot jail or bind8 breaks.

> With ndc you just go say: /usr/sbin/ncd -c /var/named/var/run/ndc

i have never said ncd needed to be there.  the only binaries i ever
put into a chroot is named and named-xfer, apparently named is not
actually necessary.

> > so long as your chroot jail isn't setup wrong (ie chown -R
> > named.named) i don't really see any risk here.
>
> Maybe, but if there is no need for binaries to be in the chroot, why put
> them there.

if you have to you have to (named-xfer).

> True, but its not the default and the local syslog might not even be
> listening.

yes it is the default.  bind logs to /dev/log.  the fact that you
chroot and the /dev/log its logging to is now /var/named/dev/log is
not relevant to bind.

> > SYSLOGD="-a /var/named/dev/log"
>
> Yeah, but is secure-bind (or bind-chroot) allowed to reach and change
> this variable?  Plus can it be sure that sysklogd doesn't reach out and
> change it?

/etc/init.d/sysklogd is a conffile, sysklogd cannot change it without
the admin's permission.  as for how this package changes it i don't
know, there is no policy compliant way to do it other then a message
to the admin saying if they want bind to log they have to fix the
initscript themselves.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/