Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

David Spreen <david@spreen.de> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 10:16:36PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
>> With the latest release, it's now down to about 80MB.  In any case, we
>> never release with more than one old kernel, nor with experimental kernels,
>> so that would be 1 x 2.2.x, and at most 2 x 2.4.x.

> This sucks. Hopefully not only in my opinion. But, see, I don't agree with
> you if you concentrate on 2.4.x kernels until 2.4.10 or better .15 is
> released. I felt like on an horror trip when I saw potato released with
> an prerelaese of a stable kernel. And please, don't use a 2.4.x kernel
> for wood as the standard kernel-image.

I think you've missed the point.  We're not talking about what is going
to be the standard kernel image for woody.  We're discussing the way the
kernel images are constructed on i386, which happens to only apply to
2.4 at the moment.

The kernel on the boot floppies is still 2.2 at the moment.