Sourceforge again

  Hello people,

This is yet another status report on the Sourceforge package progress.

  I think I have reached a milestone.  I have a mostly stable package
that installs fine and works out of the box.  I have got a report of a
Debconf problem, but it's probably a detail.  Thanks to people who
tried and tested and crashed and reported bugs.  So, what do we have?

  What works: mostly the web-related stuff.  User creation, personal
page, project creation and administration, bug tracking, support
requests, tasks, forums, software map, docs, monitoring, patch
tracker, surveys, news, personal skills, help needed stuff,
bookmarking.  The cron jobs work, although some of them might not be
useful.

  What doesn't work: mostly everything else, in fact.  That includes
mail aliases, shell accounts, CVS integration, mailing-lists, DNS and
virtual hosting of project pages, FTP and file releases.  Probably
foundries.

  What sucks: most of the stuff is full of references to VA Linux,
OSDN, and more generally plenty of people related to the official
sourceforge.net.  I'm not saying that they suck, it's just that seeing
how many mails Debian gets for just mentioning its name in the
template home page for Apache...  I'd rather not be remembered as the
guy who caused sourceforge.net to be mailbombed or RBL'ed or spammed
with useless messages.

  I know that a Sourceforge without CVS and FTP is far from complete,
but I have used an ancient version of my package here at work for
about six months, and bugs+support+forums+tasks is already rather
useful.

  So, what now?  I'm not sure I'm willing to upload to unstable yet,
because I don't want to get plenty of "FTP doesn't work" bug reports.
And knowing the task at hand, I know I won't be able to handle it all
by myself.  There's all the stuff that doesn't work, plus there's the
matter that Sourceforge evolves rather fast upstream.

  I'm therefore asking for help, or at least advice.

  Advice as to whether I should upload to unstable (when PostgreSQL
7.1 hits unstable, now it's released I trust Oll?iver Elphick to
upload it) or experimental or keep it where it is.

  And help.  I have no clue as to how CVS integration is done, same
for the mailing-lists, I'm not sure about the FTP stuff.  I think that
mail aliases and shell account creation can be done with LDAP, I know
there's a script in there that provides some sort of support, but I'm
clueless about LDAP.  Then there's the matter of DNS and virtual
hosting, that can probably be done.  Getting rid of VA/OSDN/sf.net is
longer than difficult.  And finally, there's all the matter of
security, because I am clueless in security (yeah, I know, I'm
clueless at many things), and I have no idea if it's essentially a
security sieve or not.

  So I'm looking for you people who would like to use Sourceforge.  If
there are none of you out there, too bad for me, I worked for the joy
of it.  If there are some of you, please stand up and tell me what
you'd like most and how you could help.  Or test and report problems.

  Here are the apt-lines:

deb http://people.debian.org/~lolando/debian binary-i386/
deb-src http://people.debian.org/~lolando/debian source/

  Thanks in advance for the numerous answers :-)

Roland.

PS for the people I Cc:'ed: you showed an interest in the past.  If
you'd like me to stop telling you about SF, just say so, I'll forget
you.  I'll probably stop mailing you anyway, and keep it on
debian-devel, unless told otherwise.
--
Roland Mas

Shyumiribirikku ga susunde imashyou ka ?
  -- Le Schmilblick en japonais