Re: FYI: dh_upx compresses i386 executables

On Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 11:28:53AM -0700, Alexander Hvostov wrote:
> For these reasons, I agree with the sentiment that UPX should be used on
> almost all (if not all) executables shipped with Debian.

i would strongly object to this. how would it affect other tools, such
as ident, ldd, and strings?

if it is something that could be done after the fact (and it seems to
be. the documentation on http://wildsau.idv.uni-linz.ac.at/mfx/upx.html
is very lacking) then by all means make a .deb that will upx pack
everything is /usr/bin et al. but do not do it by default.

however, on something like boot-floppies, this might be a goddess-send.

-john