Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

On 21 Apr 01 04:01:21 GMT, Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au> wrote:
> Frank Copeland <fjc@thingy.apana.org.au> wrote:
>
>> I will say I'm puzzled by the idea of optimising x86 kernel packages
>> for processor type rather than the old division into "kitchen sink",
>> -compact, -ide and -idepci. I was always given to understand that
>
> That division was only necessary because we weren't using initrd.

OK, now I've looked at the initrd docs I can see that. But what's the
rationale now for having kernel flavours for all the possible
variations on x86 processor type (except, it seems, for i486). Would I
actually notice the difference between running a -i386 and a -k6 kernel
on my K6-2/350 box? Or between a -i586 and a -k6?

Frank