Re: simple proposal to illustrate (was: Re: Sources vs Packages files

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 09:32:24PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > Everyone else involved considers this an ungainly hack, and would rather
> > work on making a more useful infrastructure to help out autobuilders,
> > which is being used by just about everyone but hurd now.
>
> I have doubts that I was successful at communicating what I expect, because
> I can't understand why you don't think a modification to automatically track
> isn't a more useful infratstructure to help out autobuilders. Here is a
> concrete proposal (out of the blue, but it might just work).
>
>    List udebs in the "Binary:" field of the Sources file not with their name
>    NAME, but with "debian-installer/NAME".
>
>    (Or, alternatively, list udebs not in the Binary: field at all, but in a
>     different field, like "New-Binary: [debian-installer] NAME" to remain
>     backard compatibility).
>
> This would instantly provide me with the information I need. When parsing
> the packages file, I could look at all "SUBDIR/" prefixes in the Binary:
> fields, and fetch those additional Packages file. (It would also keep the
> name space seperate, but it si questionable if this could be exploited
> easily. Consider BTS etc).

To make it crystal clear, what I need is an answer to the following
question:

With the Sources file entry:

Package: foo
Binary: bar buzz box
(rest is arbitrary)

How do I find the respective Package file (entry) for the packages "bar",
"buzz" and "box" (for arch ARCH).

Old answer: Look in the single Packages file (relative to Sources file):
../binary-ARCH/Packages

New answer: Look in ../binary-ARCH/Packages and
../debian-installer/binary-ARCH/Packages (and ... and ... in the future?)

Proposed answer: For each bar, buzz, box, do:

if ($package =~ m/(.*/)([^/]+))
  {
    $subdir = $1;
    $package = $2;
  }
else
  {
    $subdir = '';
  }

$package contains the package name now, and the Packages file is
'../' . $subdir . 'binary-ARCH/Packages'.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de