Re: configuring xf4, was Re: Can't configure 3rd button on mouse

On 18 Apr 2001, Rob Browning wrote:

> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
>
> > OK, this doesn't quite work, and nothing is set because of it. When I
> > execute this command, I walk through several screens until I get to
> > "select your desired default color depth" and enter 24 bit, the script
> > dies with the following:
> >
> >         (in cleanup) Can't call method "close" on an undefined value at
> > /usr/lib/perl5/Debian/DebConf/ConfModule.pm line 476 during global
> > destruction.
> > dwarf:~#
>
> You might want to try updating your debconf/perl/dpkg/apt combination
> and running this again.  In fact, as a defensive mechanism (because
> I've been using debconf since it's earlier and shakier days :>), I
> tend to always
>
>   apt-get update dpkg debconf apt
------------^^^^^^
I think you mean upgrade here, but my understanding is that upgrade isn't
supposed to take package names...

I'm upgrading these packages now.

> before running dselect, or other upgrades.
>
> If that doesn't help, then...
>
> > If I answer No to the virtual screens question, the default screen
> > is sized to fit in the physical screen, but the mouse pointer thinks
> > the screen is larger, and still virtual, as the pointer doesn't
> > activate what it points to, but instead activates something higher
> > on the screen, depending upon where you are on the screen. This is,
> > to say the least, not useful either.
>
> If you're this close, it might be worth trying to just hand-edit the
> config file.

That would only make sense if I had a clue as to what was wrong with the
current file. xf86config seems to create a broke file?

>         Alternately, if you post it (or send it to me), I'll
> compare it to mine and see if I see anything obviously off.

I'll do that if all else fails.

> > How do I recover my previous position? I've got the correct config files
> > in place. What did I forget?
>
> Make sure your /etc/X11/XF86Config file is the same as it was before.
> That's the one that the svga server still uses.

Understood. The config file is the same as the previous working one. I put
the /etc/X11/X symlink back to the svga server, and here is what I get:

dwarf:~# startx

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc: exec: X: not found
giving up.
xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.
dwarf:~#

Is the fix obvious to you? It isn't to me ;-(

Thanks for all the help,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-