Re: lost in devfs and ide-scsi cd

Duh, reply to mayself. :-(

zhaoway <zw@debian.org> writes:

> Routinely,
>
> o I added hdc=ide-scsi to kernel boot command line
> o Added the following section to /etc/modutils/ide-scsi, then ran
>   update-modules for that purpose.
>
>  _____
> /
> | alias block-major-22 sr_mod
> | options ide-cd ignore=hdc
> | alias /dev/sr0 sr_mod
> | alias /dev/scd0 sr_mod
> | pre-install sg modprobe sr_mod
> | pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi
> | pre-install ide-scsi modprobe ide-cd
> | probeall /dev/scd0
> \_____
>
> * I'd hope Debian provide this with all comment out. To copy everytime
>   from CD-Writing HOWTO is boring.

**1**

After I got things up, I feel the following section is better suited:

        alias /dev/scsi sg
        options ide-cd ignore=hdc
        pre-install sg modprobe sr_mod
        pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi
        pre-install ide-scsi modprobe ide-cd

The first line is interesting, I tried my luck, and it did works! :-)
The alias lines previously IMHO were very misleading and indeed are
not necessary.

> I'm running 2.4.1; the problem is, neither sr_mod nor anything else is
> providing /dev/sr0 when loaded. So if I mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0
> /cdrom I lost. Though the various kernel modules were loaded.
>
> Then what if I mount -t iso9660 /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd
> /cdrom ? I am still lost, because this way, the kernel then wouldn't
> know what kernel modules to load (ie. sr_mod etc)
>
> So, either I add the following to /etc/modutils/devfsd:
>
> alias /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd sr_mod
>
> which I feel pretty ugly and unflexible, or I still use sr0 but add
> symlinks for it. Ie in /etc/devfs/symlinks to add the following:
>
> scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd scd0

**2**

I did add the following:

        cdroms/cdrom0 cdrom
        scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd sr0
        scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd scd0
        scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/generic sg0

I'd suggest these being added (comment out by default) to Debian.

With **1** and **2** and add hdX=ide-scsi to kernel boot command line,
cdrecord -scanbus runs beautifully. and mount /cdrom works as usual.

--
http://dim.sourceforge.net ............... Debian Chinese Input Method
http://njlug.sourceforge.net ............ NanJing GNU/Linux User Group