Re: Can't configure 3rd button on mouse

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

> So, how do I set up XFree4 to work? I installed it, but I don't
> remember getting a chance to configure it...

I hate to recommend this, but I've used the

  dpkg --purge xserver-xfree86
  apt-get install xserver-xfree86

approach in the past.  Then it'll be sure to re-run its configure
stuff.  Alternately, if it uses debconf, you could always do a

  dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

though with either of these approaches if it doesn't do it itself,
you'll need to do whatever magic's involved in changing the new server
to be your default.

While you're doing all this, though, I'd recommend you

  /etc/init.d/gdm stop

(or xdm or whatever you're using).

You can always test your setup as you tinker by running XFree86
directly from the command line.

Also note that the new config file is /etc/X11/XF86Configure-4, and
it's *much* simpler than it was before.  There should be a tool that
runs when you install the pacakge to help set up this file, but I
can't recall the name ATM.

> > of doing that is Branden's department, I just help people set up DRI
> > (which is amusing considering that I have yet to get it working for my new
> > system, but that's neither here nor there..)
> >
> Whoosh <sound this paragraph makes as it goes completely over my head ;->

Since you have a reasonable modern motherboard, and especially if you
have an AGP card, there are things you can do that'll make your X
server *much* faster, but it involves a variety of things (for full
tweaking), including enabling MTRR support in your kernel, etc.  In
the end, the main win is when you get it set up so that the X server
can have more direct access to the video card.