Re: Bugs against Debian CD's

On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 04:18:07PM +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 01:33:50AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > > debian-cd
> >
> > That's not sure. debian-cd does nothing apart from using
> > boot-floppies image to build El Torito CD images.
> >
> > I guess that if the CD are not detected as bootable it's because the
> > specific hardware doesn't support bootable CD. It's neither debian-cd's fault
> > nor boot floppies's fault.
> >

> No.  I had what I suppose is the same problem with the initial potato CDs
> (r0, I haven't tried later releases).  The boot CD just would not boot in my
> Toshiba laptop (others with Toshiba seemed to get this problem too).  Your
> conclusion would be fair, except that the slink CDs booted on the same
> machine perfectly fine.

IIRC, the El Torito image for slink was a 1.44 Mo one, while the potato is a
2.88 Mo. If I'm not mistaken, this can be the source of the problem, the
BIOS on some machines emulating just 1.2 or 1.44 Mo floppy images via El
Torito.
--
Thierry LARONDE, Centre de Ressources Informatiques, Archamps - France
http://www.cri74.org