Re: ITP: laptop-netconf -- a network detection and configuration program

On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 09:09:56PM +0200, T.Pospisek's MailLists wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Andrew Pimlott wrote:
>
> > 2.  Time would be best spent integrating all of the little network
> >     autoconfig tools into one tool.  Probably, that tool should be
> >     the ISC dhcp client.
>
> IMO it should be a separate package.

Perhaps--I probably should have said "based on".  The point is that
the ISC dhcp client is the best starting point I know of.

> Consider that you also can have
> dialup via PCMCIA with various setups (DNS) and/or ethernet via PCMCIA
> (different IPs for different locations or DHCP etc...).

PPP should perhaps be handled separately, since it has its own
auto-configuration mechanisms below the IP level.  However, anything
LAN-like can probably be handled by one tool.  Look at
dhcp-client--it probably does everything you want already.  A doc
excerpt:

    It is possible to define one or more fixed leases in the client
    configuration  file for  networks  where there is no DHCP or
    BOOTP service, so that the client  can  still  automatically
    configure  its address.

Andrew

--
Capitalism interprets regulation as damage, and routes around it.